Bayreuth Scholarship - Information
The 2018 Bayreuth Scholarship
Applications are invited for this scholarship offered by the Wagner Society of Scotland in association with the Richard Wagner Scholarship Foundation [Richard-Wagner-Stipendienstiftung] in Bayreuth. It is offered to applicants aged between 18 and 35 years old who fulfil the criteria below. The successful applicant receives tickets for the Bayreuth Festival, a programme of tours and events there, and funds to defray the cost of travel expenses, meals and accommodation.
What are the aims of the Scholarship?
Wagner conceived of his festival in Bayreuth as a people's festival along the lines of those that took place in ancient Greece. Thus he wanted to make attendance completely free as had then been the case. Since this was not possible for understandable reasons, in 1882, a year before his death, he established a new fund that should facilitate “free attendance, if necessary including travel and accommodation costs for friends of my art” who visit the Festival. Thus the Richard Wagner Scholarship Fund was established. It aims to broaden and deepen the notion of the Bayreuth Festival. To achieve this it enables attendance at several performances for “gifted up-and-coming musicians, singers or other artists, who might come into consideration in due course for the orchestra or stage at the Bayreuth Festival”. Today this is financed with contributions from Wagner Societies around the world who are affiliated to the International Association of Wagner Societies [Richard-Wagner-Verband International]. The Gesellschaft der Freunde von Bayreuth also gives a subsidy.
What are the benefits of the Scholarship?
The winner will receive tickets for Lohengrin (06/08/2018), der Fliegende Holländer (07/08/2018), Parsifal (08/08/2018), and the Stipendiatenkonzert (09/08/2018). In addition the Richard Wagner Scholarship Foundation will arrange lectures, a tour of the Festival Theatre, visits to the Wagner and Liszt museums and other sightseeing and social events commencing on 05/08/2017. The successful applicant will also receive £1,000 to defray the cost of travel expenses, meals & accommodation.
Who can apply?
Candidates must be:
- A singer, instrumentalist, conductor, composer and/or involved in theatre work, including direction, design and stage management and students of all those subjects.
- Aged between 18 and 35 years old on 1st August 2018.
- Scottish born, resident in Scotland and/or enrolled as a full-time student at a Scottish educational establishment
Proof of talent is required in the form of a written endorsement from a university, college, academy, school, theatre, company or other professional support.
Interviews & Auditions
Depending on the number of applications received and candidates’ vocations, it may be necessary to audition or interview applicants, or to make further inquiries of their tutors/employers.
Rules & Conditions
- Applications for the 2018 Scholarship must be received by 30th November 2018 and will be acknowledged within seven days of receipt.
- A Candidate can receive a Scholarship only once but if unsuccessful can re-apply in subsequent years.
- The successful applicant is required to submit a short report to the Wagner Society of Scotland on their Bayreuth visit within a month of return. Singers and instrumentalists may be offered a recital opportunity by the Society.
- Tickets allocated for Bayreuth Festival performances will be issued on a strictly personal basis; i.e. they can neither be sold nor transferred to a third party. If for any reason the candidate cannot attend a performance, the tickets must promptly be returned to the Richard Wagner Scholarship Foundation.
- If the candidate cannot for any reason take up the Scholarship, the Society must be informed without delay to enable us to offer the place to another applicant.
Completed Application Forms should be sent to:
Iain Millar, 46 Easter Hermitage, Edinburgh EH6 8DR firstname.lastname@example.org
The winner of the 2018 Scholarship will be announced in early February 2018
22 West Chapelton Drive, Bearsden, Glasgow, G61 2DA
Telephone: 0141 942 0935 Mobile: 0776 691 2724
2 Glenlockart Road, Edinburgh, EH10 5RG
Telephone: 0131 447 1645
Treasurer & Membership Secretary
1C Pendreich Road, Bridge of Allan, Stirling, FK9 4PZ
Telephone: 0178 683 3804
6 Merchiston Place, Edinburgh, EH10 4NR
Telephone: 0131 623 2920 Mobile: 0790 256 3232